PRINCE OF WALES & DUCHESS OF CORNWALL AND THE QUEEN’S DIAMOND JUBILEE SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION AND NOMINATION PAGE
Welcome to the Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall (Grade 11) and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee (Grade 12) Scholarship information and application page. Please see the following Nomination procedures and criteria for Nomination.
* Note: Nomination must come from a Saskatchewan high school nominating team, not directly from students. Please read all information before submitting nomination.
*The school leadership team is typically comprised of school principal, vice-principal, guidance staff and/or teachers.
Annually, through the Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall Scholarship and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Scholarship, the Government of Saskatchewan provides a maximum of $16,000 to ease the financial burden that some students face during their educational journey. These scholarships are intended for students living with vulnerable circumstances. We invite you to nominate one student from your school for each scholarship.
The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall Scholarship assists Grade 11 students with completing their secondary education. A maximum of 20, $500 scholarships, are awarded annually (fall of 2019 after confirmation of Grade 12 enrollment).
The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Scholarship assists Grade 12 students with completing their post-secondary education. A maximum of six, $1000 scholarships, are awarded annually (fall of 2019 after confirmation of acceptance to a post-secondary institution).
Please distribute the attached posters (English | French) to students in Grades 11 and 12 and collect nominations. You can use the worksheets (POWDC | QDJ) provided so each nominee can complete a portfolio to assist your leadership team in making a final selection. Please have your school leadership team choose one student per scholarship to submit for nomination from the group of nominees at your school. Please see nomination criteria, requirements below. This year’s scholarship application deadline is March 15, 2019.
POWDC & QDJ Scholarship Nomination Criteria
There may be several students within your school who could be potential recipients of either a Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Scholarship or a Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Scholarship; however, according to legislation governing the administration of the scholarships, only one recipient can be chosen from any particular school for each scholarship. The school leadership team will make the decision regarding which student will be nominated as a potential recipient for each of the scholarships.The following criteria are applicable to both the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Scholarship and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Scholarship:
1. School and/or Community-Based Leadership
Nominees must be able to highlight their leadership roles in the school and/or the community. As emerging leaders, nominees will possess many admirable qualities, including, but not limited to, the following:
- knowing themselves and demonstrating a desire for self-improvement;
- seeking responsibility and taking responsibility for their actions;
- making sound, timely decisions based on good decision making and planning;
- acting as a good role model;
- helping others to understand what needs to be done;
- having an understanding of others, and looking out for the well-being of others;
- knowing how to communicate effectively with a wide range of people;
- helping others to develop good character traits.
2. Responsibilities outside of school
Nominees may have responsibilities beyond school that draw on their time and energy.These may be described in terms of: what they are; their importance to the nominee; what role or function they require from the nominee; and, the impact they have for the nominee.
3. Financial support needed
The need for additional financial support must be demonstrated (e.g., the nominee may besolely supporting themselves, have other family members dependent on the nominee for financial support, or may have limited or no ability to earn extra money given current circumstances). Financial need will be an important consideration in the decision to award a scholarship.
4. Academic performance
The nominee must be demonstrating a level of academic performance that makesgraduation from Grade 12 likely. They must be committed to furthering their educational goals. Nominees for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Scholarship must have the intent to attend post-secondary education. Confirmation of admission will be required before scholarship is issued.
Scholarship Application Requirements:
The following information is required to complete the package for submission:
- Nomination form – completed by the school leadership team.
- Letter of nomination – completed by nominating teacher or principal – outlines how the nominated student meets the nomination criteria. Upload and submit with completed nomination package – use school letterhead.
- Student profile completed by nominated student – outlines how the student sees themselves meeting the nomination criteria. Add your school nominee profile info this space on the form before submitting.
This year’s scholarship application deadline is March 15, 2019
For each scholarship, please fill out the online form process below. You will be asked to complete three steps, as outlined in the Application Requirements above.
Thanks so much for advocating for your students. Please contact me if you have any questions.
SACE Selection Committee Coordinator
Phone: 306-764-3389 | Fax: 306-922-0093 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarship Information - For Reference
2018-19 Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall and Queen's Diamond Jubilee Scholarship and Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Scholarship Poster (English)
2018-19 Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall and Queen's Diamond Jubilee Scholarship and Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Scholarship Poster (French)
There are no upcoming events posted right now, please check back later.